Originally powered by a radial engine and designated Ca 335 Maestrale (Mistral), this two-seat fighter/reconnaissance monoplane was designed in 1938 at Ponte San Pietro, but after the construction of the first prototype in 1939, the manufacturing license was sold to S.A.B.C.A. (Societe Anonyme Beige de Constructions Aeronautiques) of Brussels, Belgium. Powered by an 860 h.p. Hispano-Suiza 12 Ycrs twelve-cylinder vee liquid-cooled engine and designated S.47, the Belgian version was to have been built quantity, but this was prevented by the overwhelming German invasion. Armament comprised one 20-mm. cannon firing through the airscrew hub, two 7.7-mm. Browning machine guns in the wings, and one flexible hand-held gun in the rear cockpit. Empty weight was 4950 lb. and loaded weight varied from 6545 lb. (fighter) and 7128 lb. (reconnaissance) to 7370 lb. for attack.
Performance included a maximum speed of 311 m.p.h. at 13,780 ft., a service ceiling of 32,800 ft., and a range of 978 miles, or a duration of 2 hrs. (fighter) to 4 hrs. 30 min. (reconnaissance). The S.47 fighter climbed to 6560 ft. in 3 min. 30 sec., to 13,120 ft. in 7 min. 20 sec., and to 19,680 ft. in 12 min. 20 sec. Dimensions were: span 43 ft. 3 in., length 34 ft. 9 in., height 10 ft. 6 in., and wing area 254 sq. ft.