The Ca 134 two-seat reconnaissance biplane of 1936 was a conventional design in most respects, although the biplane tail with endplate fins and rudders was an unusual feature on a comparatively modern single-engined type. The configuration was adopted to provide the observer/gunner with a largely unobstructed rear field of fire. In addition to the dorsal gun position, the observer was provided with large rectangular windows on the fuselage sides. The pilot had a single forward-firing fixed gun.
Powered by a 900 h.p. Isotta-Fraschini Asso XI R.CAO twelve-cylinder vee engine, the Ca 134 was 01 welded steel construction, with fabric-covered wings, rear fuselage, and tall surfaces; only the forward fuselage and landing gear fairings were sheet metal. The radiator was mounted beneath the fuselage between the landing gear. The narrow-chord untapered wings spanned 31 ft. 2 in.; length and height were respectively 31 ft. and 10 ft. 6 in. Performance included maximum and cruising speeds of 242 m.p.h. and 218 m.p.h., a landing speed of 56 m.p.h., and a ceiling of 26,240 It.